How to Tame a Feral Cat - My Story

How to Tame a Feral Cat - Love + Food + Shelter + Patience = Happy Cat!



After losing my dog last year to old age, I was left with my cat Muffin, who is almost 13 years old.  I decided I was not going to get anymore pets now that the kids had grown and left home, as it was just too emotional to say goodbye.

But as it goes, plans are not carved in stone, and on a summer’s day in my backyard last year, my hubby and I spied a little white and black kitten.  We assumed it belonged to a neighbor, but it would not let me get close and was curled up in my fountain on a hot day.

We would see it in our backyard each day and as I tried to approach it was terrified.  After asking neighbours I realized that this kitten was on his own and was basically feral.  Most likely born to a feral mother under a porch or somewhere, but this little guy was not doing so well.


Little Moo Curled Up in the Fountain!

He Thought Bird Seed was on the Menu!


Fast forward a couple of days, and he was desperately trying to eat seeds from the bird feeder and I could see he was skinny.  I assumed about 3 months old.  I told my hubby, we can’t ignore this.

I put out a plastic dish of my own cat food at the back of the garden and as soon as I left he inhaled it.


Do Your Research - Reach out to a Feral Cat Organization


 I asked at our local humane society what to do.  They wouldn’t accept trapped feral cats and referred me to an organization.  They had a lot on their plate but they gave me information that helped if I could take care of him myself.   They said food and shelter will gain respect for you from a feral cat.

Food and Shelter First 


My hubby has a garage tent that we realized he was sleeping in as he would rush off if we entered.   Living in Ontario, Canada, we have some pretty cold winters and I was not having any luck getting close to him. 

We decided this was a project for us, and we purchased a large litter box with a lid that we transformed into a shelter.  We filled it with critter bedding and placed it in the spot he was using in the garage tent.  You can purchase specialized Feral Cat Shelters online.  Example below.

✅  Outdoor Feral Cat House




✅  Outdoor Cat Condo






✅  Outdoor Multiple Cat Shelter - Perfect for Ferals




Don't Use Towels - Use Straw or Special Critter Bedding



You can purchase specialized feral or outdoor cat houses online, but if you are making your own as we did, you can fill with straw.

Towels may start out soft but if the cat snuggles into them when they are wet the towel will freeze and hold the moisture.  We were not going to heat this space, so it was important that we not use towels or blankets.  Use straw or critter bedding that can wick away the moisture and keep their body heat in.

You can purchase feral cat houses, with heat in them, but it depends on your level of investment and what you can afford.  It was not practical for us to use heat, so we did the best we could.  

Straw is Ideal Outdoor Pet Bedding


✅  Natural Wheat Straw






Food Shelter


He preferred to eat outside, and so for the beginning of fall we overturned a wheel barrow and leaned it against the wall and gave him 2 bowls, water and food and the barrow kept the weather off of it. 

Feed at Same Time Each Day if Possible



As he was young and I worked from home I was able to put food out about 8am and then again at 6 pm.   Within a few weeks he got used to this schedule and would be waiting near the feeding station at these times.  He would still run away when I got there but watched me carefully from the hedge.


Move the Feeding Station Closer to the House Every Few Weeks


As winter began to set in, we moved the wheel barrow closer to the house to make it easier for me to get out and feed him.  He was not impressed at first, but this worked.  He got used to seeing my own cat at the patio door and slowly became less afraid.

As the temperature dipped we did worry about him, but my hubby would check his covered bed within the garage tent and added an old quilt over top to add insulation.  He seemed to thrive and grew a thick coat although still quite young we would see him play in the snow.  I felt better knowing his belly was full enough he could play like a kitten.

You need to find a way to keep them out of the wind and the elements especially in the winter, but the feeding station was quickly becoming an issue with the heavy snow.

The Wheel Barrow Shelter With Moo Eating during a heavy winter

Finally come early spring, Moo (we named him) was right up on the patio door ledge.  So I decided to take the plunge.  I stopped feeding him outside.  He missed a meal because I didn’t come outside and I put the wheel barrow away, so he was hungry enough to come closer.


Moved Feeding Station to Just Inside the Patio Door

It was a super frosty day, and his little nose looked bright red.  I opened the door a crack and instead of running away as he does, I put tinned food in a bowl right by the door.  I am sure my furnace was not impressed but finally, half his body came in, and then the rest of him and I slowly slid the door shut. 


He panicked at first, but was hungry enough to put up with it.   I didn’t touch him, and as soon as he was done, I quickly opened the door and gave him some treats.

Moo checking out the house for the first time!

Will Always be an Outdoor Cat

He stays close and doesn't venture far from out yard.

It can be hard to totally tame a feral cat.  We were lucky because he was quite young when we first met him, but he was not equipped to hunt or feed himself.   As much as I was not ready for another cat, he chose us that day from all the other yards. 

Finally I Picked Him Up - He Was Light as a Feather!


 After about 2 weeks of coming in to eat, I decided to try and pet him on the back of his neck, and he let me and for the first time I heard purring!!  It brought tears to my eyes as he purred.  He was abandoned so young, and had to live in harsher conditions than my 13 year old princess cat.  I finally took the plunge and turned my face away just in case, and picked him up.

He let me do that and scratch his neck.  I have a chair in the kitchen near the door and after he eats I sit him on my lap.  I keep trying to pet and pick him up every day to get used to human contact.

Food Scheduling is Most Important When Trying to Tame a Feral Cat



In my opinion, sticking to a feeding schedule as much as possible is the best place to start.  You can live trap feral cats and there are organizations that will fix them and house them into feral communities, but we decided we wanted this kitty as he was a loner from the start. 

Next is Veterinarian Time!


 We decided to now invest some money into Moo, as it has been 10 months since we started this process and we are attached, so tomorrow I will go to my Vet and get a sedative, as there is no way that Moo will go willingly into a cat carrier. 

He will then be neutered and all shots.  I couldn’t have done this until now.  We figure he is about a year old right now, so this way he can be checked out.  They have been warned he is “semi feral” so to keep him sedated.  

The day he laid down on the inside door mat in comfort and ease!


Training Will Become a Bit Easier Once Neutered

UPDATE JULY 2017 - We successfully got him into the carrier when he thought he was getting food the morning of Jun 16/17.  Surprise works the best.  He was neutered and sent home. 

Best thing we did because once neutered and not being controlled by hormones, he became even friendlier and much easier to train.

 Fixing a cat, is a good step in the training process, it will stop them from wandering looking to mate and getting beat up by other cats and spraying.  This year we plan on taking the garage tent down, so will have to set him up with a kitty door in the shed or invest in a feral cat house.   I feel he is comfy enough that he will go with the flow.  His world is our backyard and inside the kitchen and I am happy with that.

I am now officially a Cat Lady!  as We picked up another cat, so here are all three at the door including Moo!


Moo was worth all the Work.  He is a beautiful kitty.


✅UPDATE!! as of July 2017


MOO suddenly decided that it was time to venture from the feeding area in the kitchen and mingle with the family.

He started this 2 weeks ago, and now quite often has naps on the couch. HUGE CHANGE. So I feel we were successful in saving this tiny ball of starving fur we discovered in our yard last year that hated people!  Getting him neutered helped totally.  Now her purrs and looks for loving pets!

I regularly pick him up and he loves it!  SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...