How to Make a Easy Book Diversion Safe for Cash or Stash



I like to keep a few dollars and some change in the house for emergencies, bus fare, or whatever, and I used to keep it in my underwear drawer!

Underwear Drawer is the First Place Checked by Intruders!

But according to a police report I read, the underwear drawer is the first place a burglar will look.

So scratch that idea!

I like the idea of some cash simply because when the power goes out in various storms, ATM machines don't work and neither do cash registers, so it doesn't hurt to have some around, plus it is my scratch ticket fund!

You could use it for anything that you need to keep safe that is small.

I decided an obvious change purse was not the answer, so I found this video on how to make your own book safe and add it to your shelf of books.


Hide in Plain Sight!!

This video by O'Neil Sisters, shows you how to hollow out the book using Mod Podge to seal the pages.  She talks about using this box for jewelry or anything, but I love the idea of using this for a
secret stash safe.

Any intruders are not going to spend time going through your books, they want to be in and out quick.  So I think this is an awesome idea.

Do Not Cut Right To the Back Cover

To keep some strength in the book, find a thick one and make sure you do not cut right to the back cover or it will become flimsy.



What you will Need:

Thick old book you have around the house or find one at the thrift store.

Mod Podge

Paint Brush

Sharp X-acto Knife

That's it, you don't need anything else.  Yes you could decorate it, but the idea of the secret book safe is so that you can hide it in plain sight!

Find a Book that Fits In with Your Books on the Shelf

You want your book safe to "blend" with the rest of your books.  But of course only you will know which one it is.  If your shelves are full of sports books, then find a sport book, or if you have a ton of recipe books, find an old thick recipe book.

Make it, Fill it, Place it, Done!

You could make a few of these, for any special things you need to keep safe in the house.  If you don't have any books, start a little collection so this one book will not look out of place.

If you prefer not to DIY your own secret safe, you can purchase them online to blend in with anything such as soup cans, or hair brushes!  Check it out below.






No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...