How to Clean a Mattress - Get Rid of Pee Stains

A good mattress is an expensive part of the bedroom and you want it to last.  But eventually they need some deep cleaning and this is the best way I have found to do this.

Follow these Steps and You will Have a fresher and cleaner mattress!

Step 1 - Vacuum the mattress.  Get into all the nooks and crannies with the tool attachments.

Step 2 - Sprinkle liberally with baking soda.

Step 3 - Leave for at least an hour.  Baking soda will absorb odors and leave a fresh clean scent.

Step 4 - Vacuum again.

For Nastier Stains...

If you have "biological stains"  which happens, especially pee stains from kids and pets. Then try using this product.

You can just use baking soda but I have found you need to use a cleaner that is designed to remove "biological stains" which is called an "enzyme cleaner"

All pee (people and pets) is made of uric acid, and you need a cleaner that will break that down.  Pet stain removers have this enzyme that breaks it down, that is why they work so well on rugs etc.

I personally love this particular brand RESOLVE as I have 3 cats and a dog, and everything from pee to puke happens and it works!.  Plus it has not bleached or damaged any surfaces in my house.

Step 1 - Make sure you always address the stains as quick as you can by soaking up excess.

Step 2 - Spray this product directly on the stains (check a part of your mattress for color fast, but I would think you would rather just attack the stain and odor).  Follow instructions on spray bottle.  Make sure you get the entire stain covered.

Step 3 - Let it dry for the day if you can.  It will work on breaking down acid that has soaked in.

Step 4 - Once dry, Sprinkle with baking soda to absorb any left over moisture and odors.

Step 5 - Vacuum.

This is my "GO TO" Cleaning Method for my Mattress

The Above steps have worked wonders for me.  I have found this pet product to work on all soft fabrics such as mattresses and couches and of course carpet for human accidents too.

The trick for getting rid of biological stains and odors is to put enough product on to follow the trail of the stain and to break down as much of the odor causing acid as it can.

Once clean, use a mattress protector if this may happen again to extend the life of your mattress.



No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...