Three Ways to Add Light to a Rental Kitchen

 As a renter, I don't want to invest in upgrades or harm any surface that will upset the landlord.  But... and that is a big BUT the counter lighting sucks!  

I actually dreaded working in the kitchen which is sad because I like to cook, and the kitchen is the hub of many activities!

I went searching and found 3 awesome ways to light up the areas without investing a lot of money, wireless, (no plugging in) and they can actually come with you if you move.

1.  LED MOTION SENSER STRIP LIGHT

You can actually use these anywhere, such as closets, pantry, stairwells.  They come on automatically and turn off 15 seconds after you walk away.  But I seriously found them awesome for counter lighting.  If you have upper cabinets in your rental kitchen, you simply attach it to underneath and this will light up your work area.  For 35 bucks you get two of them!  Plus they are slim so you can't see them!


Aipolloo LED Motion Sensor Under Cabinet Lighting 2 Pack - 67 LEDs Magnet Closet Lights - Wireless Battery Operated 2500mAh Rechargeable Lighting - Magnetic Kitchen Counter Light - Black- HW40 

 
2. PUCK LIGHTS

These are super cool too.  Especially if you have many areas to light as you get a 6pack.  I personally found the strip lights lit up a larger area, but these would work too and you can spread them around.


LEASTYLE Under Counter Lights for Kitchen,Wireless LED Puck Lights with Remote Control 6 Pack, Under Cabinet Lighting Battery Operated,Steps Lights Indoor, Stick-up Lights Wireless 

 3. CLAMP ON BATTERY LIGHT

 If you have a small area you need to light up, or the table is maybe where you do your prep, then this battery operated clamp on light is a quick fix.  It is also rechargeable!


Desk Lamp Battery Operated Rechargeable Clip On Reading Light 3000mA Light up to 100 hrs Flexible Gooseneck Cordless Dimmable Lamp for Desk Bed Headboard Piano (Black) 

 I was so amazed at how many options there are on the market for lighting that doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

You can get super creative with lighting.  I have all kinds of ideas now!  I personally found the strip lighting will light up a larger area.  It comes with ways to stick them to under the cabinet, but I went with the 3M removable stickers so as not to cause damage if I remove them.  

Although... I am sure your landlord would love for you to leave them behind!  Many kitchens, especially tiny ones, lack enough electrical outlets to cater to more lighting.  I love the place and am happy here, but I realized I will have to get creative if I want to cook anything without slicing my fingers off in a dark corner of the countertop. 

Most wireless options tend to be rechargeable too, so that you don't need to stock piles of batteries, which is awesome from an environmental point of view.

CHANGE THE LOOK OF THE KITCHEN WITH LIGHTING

It is amazing just how you can turn that dark counter in your kitchen into a warm and welcoming area.  Just because we rent doesn't mean we can't personalize these spaces just a little more to make them home!

I hope I have inspired you to get creative!  If you plan on staying in your rental for a while, or even just a few months, make it feel like home.  Lighting is everything especially in the depths of winter.  It creates a warm and welcoming environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...