Homemade De-Icer

 Ok, I am not sure where everyone that follows me lives, but I can tell you, where I live we are in the depths of winter.  

I don't mind shoveling a bit of light snow, but once we get that melt and then freeze it is deadly!  I faithfully keep a bag of rock salt and driveway products to sprinkle on, but once it gets super cold it just tends to bounce and roll away!

I came across this homemade formula, that will get that ice melting so that you can quickly scoop it off the driveway, porch, stairs or sidewalk.

I have tried this for the walkway and it works!

What you Will Need:

  • 1/2 gallon of hot tap water
  • 6 drops of dish soap
  • 1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol
  • Mix

Pour over icy area and you will hear snap crackle and pop! 

Give it a minute to do its job, and then scrape with your snow shovel.

Car Windshields

I read that you can put this in a spray bottle for your icy car windows, but I personally have not tried this yet.  The driveway and walkway was always my worst nightmare for the ice buildup.

The sun melts the snow and then it freezes overnight, so if you have run out of commercial de-icer, give this recipe a try.  It will save your back as it quickly disperses with the ice, so you can scrape it out of the way.  

I will now make sure to keep rubbing alcohol in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...