Simple Way to Keep Boxed Mixed Greens Fresh

 I quite like getting the boxed mixed greens, as it is fast and simple way to make a salad, BUT I have also noticed that it can go limp and mushy quite quickly, and I have found the easy way to fix this.

This also works for bagged lettuce if you purchase it that way.  

Below are a couple of great ways to keep those lettuce leaves fresh and stop the waste.

Food is too expensive, so the less you throw out the better.

Boxed Mixed Greens

Step 1 - Open the plastic container as soon as you get it home.

Step 2 -  Place a clean folded paper towel (folded lengthwise) gently on top of the greens.

Step 3 - Close the lid and store it upside down in the refrigerator.

This allows any moisture that may be present to be absorbed into the paper towel.  Replace as needed.

I was amazed at just how well this worked.   Storing upside down is key for this to work, which places the paper towel at the bottom.

Prepared Green Salad Leftovers

Here is another tidbit I learned years ago from my gran.

If you are creating a large green salad for you family or guests, then place a small bowl upside down in the bottom of the salad bowl before adding your washed ingredients

This allows any of the moisture to trickle down under the small bowl in the bottom and collect, which will keep you salad fresh even the next day in the refrigerator. 

Hope this was helpful.  I despise throwing out food, so I found this trick works well.  You can also transplant your greens to special containers that will keep it fresh longer.  Check them out below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...