How to Clean a French Press

 I love a French Press, because it seems more convenient to me that using a coffee maker.  I also need to drink decaf (I know hiss boo!) so by having two French Press's I can make both quickly.

But cleaning them out can be a bit of a pain, especially when the grounds harden.

Here is a quick way to do this.

Step 1 - Fill your press halfway with water to rehydrate the grounds.

Step 2 - Place a paper towel in the drain of the sink 

Step 3 - Gently pour the coffee grounds/water over the paper towel.

This collects the grounds and stops them from going down the sink

NOTE:  Don't pour grounds down the sink as they will eventually create a plug up in the drain as they don't dissolve like bits of food do.

Take the paper towel of grounds and place in your green compositing bin, or your backyard composting bin or throw in the garbage.

Step 4 - Place a few drops of mild dish soap into your press.

Step 5 - Fill half way with warm water

Step 6 - Take the plunger part of the press and simply go up and down into the glass container.  The soap will not only clean the glass but also the plunger, as coffee oils do build up.

Step 7 - Dump the water.

Step 8 - If stains remain, use a micro fiber cloth to gently rub the sides of the glass.

You are done!

It is best if you can do this after each use, as the oils from the coffee will tend to build up on the glass and the plunger making your coffee taste a bitter.

Invest in a Couple of French Press's

This way you can have one on the go while the other is set aside for cleaning!  Or like me, one ready for decaf, so I can enjoy coffee too!


I love the french press, it is a quick way to make good tasting coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...