How to Make a Quick Knitted Rug Using T-Shirt Yarn


I love to knit in front of the TV in the evenings, but I don't want anything too complicated.  It is meant to be relaxing for me.   I don't want to be counting stitches and paying attention to a pattern in the evening.

So I came across this super cool video on how to make a soft rug using T-shirt yarn, which is very soft.  The product is called HOOKED ZPAGETTI.

You could also use whatever yarn you like, but I thought the idea of the yarn being from textiles was super cool.

Check out this video below:


I think this type of knitted rug would be nice beside the bed on top of carpet, but if you don't have carpet you can get the non slip pieces that fit underneath your new rug to keep them safe.


This type of rug could also be thrown in the washing machine easily too.  She just uses simple stitches and because she uses larger needles (size 12) and the larger yarn you are done in no time.  She even sews all the squares together by hand, with no needles.  I love the rustic look of this.





It can also be used for making slippers or plant pot covers as seen in the picture here.

It is super soft yet durable and holds it's shape, making it great for any knitting or crochet projects that will hold a shape.

It has never occurred to me to use fabric yarns, but they do knit well and have a bit of "give" to them.




How to Make Your Own T-Shirt Yarn

If you prefer to totally upcycle for your household projects such as the rug, above and other items, you can make your own from old t-shirts.

I found this video, to get you started.  I did it once to make twisty scarves.  So don't throw away those old t-shirts, you can upcycle them into all kinds of cool projects.


I hope this has got you excited to either purchase or make your own t-shirt yarns.  You could even hit the dollar tree and see what t-shirts they have to add to your stash or yarn.

I really love the idea of recycling or upcycling and using t-shirt or textile yarns is a super cool place to start.

Have a wonderful crafting day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...