How to Upcycle Christmas Cards into Gift Tags

I still have last years Christmas cards, and instead of throwing them out, I decided to make them into tags after watching this super short and yet simple video.

Many of the cards had beautiful fronts, and so it was fitting to create round tags using a punch.

Check out the video:


This is a very simple process.  You could cut them out yourself by using a glass and tracing the circle, or you can do it super quick with a punch.  If you do scrap-booking, you probably already have a punch, if not, I found one on Amazon.


This is a 2 inch punch.

Just think of all the gift tags you could make, once you have this punch, as it speeds things up!

After you have punched them out (you can get 2 or 3 out of a card front depending on its size). You simply need to punch a tiny hole for some string.  I just happened to have some fine red wool left over from a knitting project, so I used that.

Get started now, These are Fun to Make

I got myself organized this year, and purchased a small plastic storage container just to house my recycled cards and tags in.  I keep the punches with them and when I am wrapping, I don't have to go hunting.


Gift Tag Shape Punch

The simple tag above, is obviously round, but if you prefer the traditional "gift tag shape"  I found another hole punch online that creates 3 different sizes.  Just think of the possibilities!  I know I am, for birthdays, Christmas and more.

Create Gift Tags from anything you can punch out!  You could also punch out of plain card stock and decorate yourself.


These tags could also be made into unique pieces of art to add to your gift giving.

Recycle and Upcycle!

It is so easy to turn last years cards into beautiful gift tags.  There really is no need to purchase tags separately.  It is expensive enough at this time of year.

So whether you wish to invest in hole punches in different shapes and sizes, or if you simply want to use a glass and draw a circle, it doesn't matter.  Just reuse the best you can!

Upcycle Punched out Tags into New Christmas Cards

This is a side project, but if you get over excited and make too may tags, then here is a wonderful idea!

Take one piece of card stock and cut in half.

Fold each half over (you now have 2 cards from one sheet) and with a bone folder or a ruler make sure the fold is crisp.

Take some of your punched out round tags and glue to the front of the card.  Or many different shapes, if you have different shaped punches, and you now have a brand new Christmas card made from the old ones!



No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...