DIY Christmas Card Display by Upcycling a Window Shutter

I love receiving Christmas cards in the mail, and when I was a kid we got so many my mom would add string to the wall to hang them on.

Usually this meant some kind of tape, which of course took off the paint.  Or they would display then all over the mantle.  But I wanted a cuter more effective way to display the cards!

By using an old window shutter, you can really display them as part of your holiday decor.

I found this quick video by Red Cottage Chronicals, on how to make it.  You can go wild with paint and bows, or simply leave it in it's rustic shape especially if you scoured the reuse center or thrift shop.

Upcycling a old window shutter works super well.  I have found these in many re-use centers, second hand stores and some thrift shops.  Or simply purchase one online.

You could also consider a louvered closet door if you have a lot of cards.  The one I found online is super cute and under 30 bucks, you just need to paint it festive colors and turn it the other way to hold the cards.

Lean against the wall and show off all your cards.

How to Make:

Take a window shutter or louvered door and clean it up if used.

Paint with a good primer if you want it covered such as Zinsser (this covers everything without sanding)

This primer literally covers all old paint. Just scrape off any loose bits. It creates a base for any paint you choose.

Paint the colors of your choice

Decorate as she did in the video with a garland or greenery glued to the top (dollar store has lots to choose from for this part of the project)

Lean against the wall or hang on the wall with a good hook or 3M hook (this doesn't leave marks)

Hang all those wonderful cards you have been getting in the mail.

If you are not a fan of the DIY but want a super cool way to hang cards this year, I found a couple of affordable ideas online with Amazon.

I love making the cards part of the holiday decor. I feel people have spent time on picking them and personalizing them to send to me, so it is only fitting that I display them.

...or Upcycle a Crib Rail Side

I saw this idea and thought it was perfect as well.  If there are any old cribs around, use one of the sides, paint it and hang it vertical to create rails for the cards to be displayed on.  Add a few garnishes, such as a garland and you are done!

Easy to store for each season too!

It's end of November at this writing and I got my first card in the mail today!  Time to get started on my display!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...