Smelly Fridge - 4 Fast Ways to Get Rid of the Bad Smell in Your Refrigerator

I spent a day trying to source the bad odor in my fridge.  I pulled out all the food, threw out anything that was questionable or looking like a science project, cleaned and yet there it was.  That slightly foul smell that happened when I opened the refrigerator doors!

It would waft into the kitchen and just make you cringe your nose.  Super lovely for guests...NOT

Before you lose your patience, give these ideas a try.  Sometimes fridges just stink!

If it is Sunday Morning and You are in Your Jammies... No Time for Shopping... Give these a try.

After much research and determination, I have discovered 4 ways that actually work right now, while you are thinking about it.  You can purchase products for this specific problem, but if it is a Sunday Morning and you are in your jammies, then try these ideas!

1.  COFFEE - I know you may consider this wasting that precious morning pick me up elixir, but you can spare a little I am sure!

Take some fresh ground coffee and place in a very shallow bowl so that there is a large surface area.  Leave it in there for as long as you can, and almost right away you will just be hit with the pleasant smell of coffee.  It will absorb a lot of odors.  The longer you can leave the doors shut the better.

2.  WHITE VINEGAR - This one works right away too.  The only problem is you need the room for a shallow dish of vinegar and be able to place it where it won't get spilled or you will have a new odor!  But it does wonders at neutralizing bad smells, almost right away.

3.  VANILLA EXTRACT - This one is a nice alternative, if you don't have any coffee or vinegar but since you love baking you do have vanilla!  Take a few cotton balls and soak with vanilla and place them in parts of the fridge where they won't get sent flying.   Don't use a lot of vanilla or your food will take it on as a added flavor, but maybe that would be good!

You need to use food grade items for odor absorbers...  Don't get into chemicals, or your food will taste of them and you will have a new problem.

4.  BAKING SODA - This is a standby, but don't just simply open the box and stuff it in there.  You need to spread it out onto a plate or wide dish so that there is a bigger surface area exposed to absorb odors. 

If odors are bad, then haul out pie plates and spread any of the above to make a huge surface area to do the absorbing.


Fridge Cleaning


Yes, the natural deodorizers above will only go so far in eliminating odors if your fridge is full of science projects.. such as leftover takeout containers or spilled milk.


Under The Vegetable Bins - Where Food Goes to Die!


These were the worst areas in my fridge.  I pulled them out and realized anything that had gone missing from my fridge in the above shelves, found a new home under the veggie bins!

I swept them out, and then cleaned them with a bit of vinegar and warm water.  My refrigerator lets me know if I have the doors open to long with an alarm, so I did this in stages!

Under the Fridge Migration


My refrigerator has a freezer on the bottom, so there is a vent just in front, which I unscrewed and found that spilled liquids of some sort had worked its way under there.  I carefully cleaned and vacuumed under this area.

The odors were much less noticeable, but as it turns out, that is just the nature of the beast.

Refrigerators simply love to harbor some pretty foul odors with no real noticeable source.  So by adding absorbents such as coffee, vinegar, vanilla and yes baking soda, you will notice within 24 hours how less stinky it is when you open those doors.

You can also purchase products specifically designed for this problem online.  I love the one that can hang on the wall of the fridge and not take up room on the shelves.




No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...