How to Fix Orange Hair - No Bleach - No Dyes

As a natural "dirty blonde" girl... I noticed with age, that my dark blondish had now become pretty mousy and gray.  It had lost it sheen and I then decided it was time to take the plunge and dye my hair.

It cost a bit too much for me to go to the hairdresser, so I purchased a box of popular hair color that promised to bring back my dark blonde hair and cover the gray.

Sounds good if you say it fast enough!!

I had never dyed my hair before except for the occasional foil highlights I would get done when a deal was on, but never my whole head.

I followed the instructions EXACTLY to the letter, and when I was done... I had reddish blond hair that after a couple of shampoos later was now tinted with orange.  At age 60 orange simply was not what I had in mind!

At age 60 - Orange Hair was not a Good Look!!

I didn't want to dye it again as it is very hard on your hair, and I thought I would have to put up with it.  I scoured Youtube and found many different people with the same issue... but they would bleach it, or try some kind of chemical experiment I simply didn't want to go down that road.

I didn't Want to do any Chemical Experimenting!

At my next haircut, (which is at First Choice, a walk in and first come first serve type place),  I asked the hairdresser what her opinion was on how to deal with this orange/red hair that was meant to be dark blonde.

Well... she first educated me on the fact that most of these blondish dyes... even the dark blonde do not work well on naturally red hair.  I explained I was not a red head naturally, but she then argued for it to go that orange you had some red in there somewhere..

So all those naturally blondes out there... consider there may be red in your hair that will not dye well.

My brother and sister are redheads, so I guess this is a possibility.  But what can I do that doesn't involve a lot more chemicals???

Blue Shampoo

Is your mouth gaping open too?  Mine was.  She took me to the back and said "lets wash your hair".  She used

 REGIS SUPER SILVER SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER.

Which doesn't make total sense as the color of the shampoo is the most beautiful dark indigo blue you can imagine not silver.  But anyways, she used the shampoo and then the conditioner and I was shocked at just how well it worked to knock that orange down.

The resulting color was a dark blondish with a slight naturally looking red tone, which I can live with until I try all this again.

Apparently the blue mixes with the orange in your hair and knocks it down.  It is not a chemical but simply a food coloring base that just seems to work and leaves your hair soft and not damaged.

I purchased both the shampoo and the conditioner and use it every time I shampoo.  It has done wonders for my hair, not only the more natural color but soft and less dry.  Totally recommend the above products.

Which by the way, I will save my pennies and let the professionals do it next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...