Best Hand Crank Radio That Can Charge Your Cell Phone and Possibly Save Your Life

Severe weather events are traumatic for everyone, but not knowing anything because the power has gone out, just adds to the anxiety.

After a tornado warning where I live was was announced just as the power went out, we wished the little old radio I owned still had some working batteries.

 I had created an emergency kit, but these batteries were too old and didn't work.  After that event I decided to research hand crank radios that could keep us informed without worrying about batteries. 

Best Hand Crank Radio

I found this affordable model so far in my research to be the best.  Not only can it keep you informed with radio bands, but it can be charged by solar or hand crank and also charge your cell phone so you can keep in touch with friends and family during an emergency.

I personally love the idea of this radio because it has a solar panel that you can alter depending on where the sun is, or a crank for night time use to charge it up.

It wouldn't have to sit in the closet until an emergency, because you can also take this camping.  It has a flashlight as well as an emergency red beacon if needed.  You can charge your electronics and it is small enough to carry in a backpack at 1.5 pounds!  It measures 8 x 5 inches x 2.5 inches.


This small little thing can do so much in an emergency or simply camping and hiking.  It has stable reception weather alerts to keep you informed and to stay safe.

 It will receive weather alert signals that can help you to find cover if needed.  Or use it for those simply annoying power failures, so you can keep informed as to when it may turn back on.

Solar Crank Radio as well as Hand Crank Radio

It does both, absorbs power from the sun if possible and can be cranked to get it going.  I just love how small it is but the power it has is amazing.

As I searched online and looked at all the details of many models.  This particular model of a hand crank emergency radio just stands out.  If you go by the reviews, it already has over 2245 reviews at the time of this writing.  I would keep something like this front and center and ready.  I would let everyone in the family know where it is, as you don't want to be fumbling in the dark to find it.

Creating an Emergency Kit

It is good to create a container filled with emergency supplies just in case violent weather arrives.  It might affect the clean water, so have enough bottled water for your family, packaged snacks and food that doesn't need cooking, and things you would need for at least 48 hours.

You can purchase a complete kit online if you would prefer, this one comes in a large back pack and covers 4 people for 72 hours.

One of the things I would be adding to this kit, is this hand crank radio.  We are in an electronic age where communication is so easy with cell phones, computers, and more, but in the event of a power failure many of these things wont work.

If you can afford a generator, that is great, but this is not always possible, so having that little bit of insurance to help you light your way, stay in touch and hear the latest news and alerts without batteries is one of the best things we can add to our emergency kit, of for that backpacking and camping trip.

Find Out if You Need to Take Cover with a Hand Crank Radio

When we had the tornado warning flash across the TV for our area and then blackout.  I got my family all together and headed for the basement.  It would have been nice to hear the ALL CLEAR or the path it was following.  But we simply had to guess that it was over.  I really felt "out of the loop" not knowing.  So this is the model for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...