How to Get Your Cat in a Carrier - Without Being Shredded!

Does Your Cat Give You the Stink Eye??


I don’t know about you, but the annual checkup at the Veterinarian is a stressful event for my cats and me!

My oldest cat Muffin, is almost 13 years old, and as long as I can remember it has taken 3 people to get her into the carrier and we would all be sporting scratches.  One time we tried to simply wrap her in a towel and have a passenger hold her in the car because of the terror of the carrier, but she ended up peeing all over the place and ran dangerously around the car.  So the carrier is important for her safety and ours.


Ours is an older crate, and maybe next year I will invest in a top loading one as I think that would make it a bit easier, but for now we have to use this one. 


Don't Even Think About it!!


The Get Familiar and Throw in Some Treats Trick!


This year, I watched You Tube, and got some great ideas and this one worked for us better than any other method.  So give this a try:

Step 1 – Have the crate out in the living area a few weeks before your appointment if you can.   Line it with a freshly laundered old towel (donated to the chore) so there is some softness on the bottom, and then leave it with its door open somewhere in the most popular room, which for us is the kitchen.  I placed it under a kitchen chair.

Step 2 – After a couple days of the carry crate sitting out with its door open and a towel in the bottom and them eyeing it closely,  place a couple of treats just in front of the door and then throw a few into the back of the carrier and walk away.

Step 3 – My cat cannot resist temptations, this is the “go to” treat if I need her to do something.  Each day throw a few treats into the back of the carrier to get them used to heading right inside to get them.

Step 4 – Do this for at least a couple of weeks if you can but a week minimum.

Step 5 – On the Big Day, don’t put the treats in there until about 20 minutes before you need to leave to allow time just in case you have to use a plan B, but this so far has worked! Throw a few right into the back and stay close by.  Since this has become routine for them, they should still follow the treats inside.

Step 6 – Close the door quickly, and throw a couple more treats through the door. 

They will still not be impressed with being trapped inside, but at least you will not have the shredded arms and a really unhappy cat when you get to the Veterinarian office.

Let The Veterinarian Staff Place the Cat Back in the Cat Carrier after the Checkup

Don't Touch Me or I Will Mess You Up!



I figure I pay them good money to inspect and give shots and cut nails and poke and prod, so I let them put her back in.  Sometimes they wrap her in a towel, which works, but I have never had good luck with that.  Plus trying to get them in a second time in one day after being prodded??  Not too likely!
Petmate Two Door Top Load 24-Inch Pet Kennel, Metallic Pearl Ash Blue and Coffee Ground Bottom

Top Loading Carriers


I am thinking of trading up my carrier to a top loading one.  My present one just has the typical cage door in the end.  I like the idea of a top lid as well as she is quite plump I think this might be a better option for next year.  I have been checking online as my local pet supply store is very expensive for something I need once a year. 

But I realize it is a good investment especially if they get sick or injured and you need to gently place them in this crate rather than shoving them in the end.  
Pettom Innovative Patent Bubble Pet Carriers Traveler Bubble Backpack Airline Travel Approved Carrier for Cats and Dogs (Large with Wheels, Yellow)

Wheeled Cat Carrier - Easier on the Back

My hubby leaves town a lot for work these days and since we only have one car, this can be an issue if I need to get any of my 3 cats to the Veterinarian.  My local bus system says we can take a cat using the bus system if it is in a proper carrier.


Since a recent surgery I am only allowed to carry a maximum of 20 pounds, and my old cat weighs 14 plus the crate, so I am totally loving the idea of a wheeled cat carrier.  As long as there is the padding in the bottom for comfort and accidents (she always pees when I take her to the Veterinarian) so I launder her towel right away when I get home.

It can be a battle of wits when it comes to getting your cat into a carrier, but it can be done!!

I have 3 cats and there have been some challenges, so check out my other posts.  Larger outdoor cat enclosures and Getting an Outdoor Cat Tunnel and also how to tame a feral cat, as one of my cats is semi feral but loving our family a bit more each day.  Enjoy your cat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...