Easy Homemade Hummingbird Food

I love hummingbirds, but where I live the season is short lived.  They show up beginning of June when all the flowers are coming out, and leave first week of September.

So while they are here I really like to enjoy them.

I have always made my own food for them.  As long as the feeder you choose is brightly colored, you do not need the red dye that is in the commercial products, and really it is super easy to make your own.  Much better for the little guys.

Hummingbird Food Recipe


  • 1/4 cup of white sugar (not icing sugar or brown, simple white granulated sugar)

  • 1 x Cup of Water  (I use kettle water or filtered water which has no chlorine)


Method:

Step 1 - Place the sugar in a small saucepan and then add the water, stir to mix.

Step 2 - Bring to a boil for 30 seconds.

Step 3 - Place lid on saucepan and set aside off the heat

Step 4 - Let Cool to room temperature.

Step 5 - Place in clean hummingbird feeder.

THAT IS IT! Much cheaper than store bought mix.

You can make double batches and keep one batch in the refrigerator if you wish, but I simply make and use it.

Place your hummingbird feeder either on a high feeder pole or planter hook and near some shrubs or trees where they can rest or escape and not feel exposed to predators.

There are some super cool hummingbird feeders online.  I decided this year to replace mine and add a couple more as they also add some decor to the yard.  There are some super attractive ones online.

Best Way to Attract Hummingbirds?

Is to place the feeder beside a hanging plant that is flowering with bright red or orange flowers.  They love those colors and this will attract them to your feeder.

I use a tall garden double hook and hang a flower basket in bloom from one hook and the feeder from the other.  I don't just place it in the center of the yard, I put it closer to shrubs or hiding spots but somewhere where I can still enjoy them.

While sitting on the patio they are a true wonder to watch.  

I hope I have inspired you to feed these little guys in your yard.  You will see them if you plant lots of flowers, but the feeder is a nice addition plus they act as garden decor.

Don't place this feeder with the regular bird feeders, they are put off by bigger birds.  Give them their own corner or spot where they can feed.  They burn energy fast, so as long as you keep your feeder filled with fresh food they will keep returning.

Replace the food twice a week in the hot weather otherwise one a week or when it is down will work too.

How to Clean the Feeder

I simply take it in the house and pull it apart in the sink and wash it all with super hot water.  I don't use any soap just hot water. 

You can use a bottle brush if yours gets a bit icky on the inside, but I have found as long as you replace with fresh food on a regular basis it doesn't get too icky.

ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...