DIY Squirrel Deterrent - 3 Natural Ways to Keep Them Out of Your Flower and Veggie Gardens

I absolutely love squirrels, and YES I do feed them with their very own feeder (this keeps them out of my bird feeder, but this is another story!)

But what I don't like is when you first plant your flowers and veggies in lovely dug up soil.  Squirrels just LOVE being able to dig, bury or simply mess about in fresh garden soil, including hanging pots and planters!

I live in an area full of squirrels, and so I have discovered different ways to deter them from flowers and veggies.

3 Ways to Keep Squirrels Away From Your Fresh Dug Garden

1.  HUMAN HAIR - YES, this works.  Go in the house, and find your hairbrush or your kids or anyone in the household or even friends (although that might seem like a weird request!) and pick hair strands out and then place close to the plant.

2.  PET HAIR - YES, this works too.  Give your dog or cat a good brushing and empty the hair into the flower pots or in your veggie garden. 

Squirrels have a keen smell and either one of the above are predators in their world, and they don't like the smell.

Personally I have found the human hair to work the best, because in my yard the squirrels have no fear of the cats!

3.  PEPPERMINT OIL - Find some tissues and put a few drops of peppermint oil on it and place in a few spots around your garden.

Digging in Flower Pots?

I found one of my freshly planted petunias yesterday laying in the yard from my hanging basket.  I make them myself so the flowers were from the cell packs you get at the garden center.

The squirrels just love to jump up to and dig in the pots for whatever reason, so I replanted it and placed the strands of hair around the flowers and so far so good.

Once they are more established, they don't tend to mess in the flower pots anymore.  But in those first few weeks, they are right in there making a mess.

If you would prefer a commercial product, there are safe ones online such as ultrasonic sounds and other products to keep the squirrels out of the flowers and veggies and even your roof.


But give the first 3 ideas a try. I know it is frustrating especially when you have done all the work, and then have to replant. I found this works for skunks and raccoons too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...