How to Kill Ants in the House - 3 Natural Ways - Without Pesticides

Ants are just one of the things that come along with the nice weather.  It is amazing just how they find themselves in your house, but they do.

I had an issue near the front door and noticed them under the mat and around the shoes.  I have 3 cats and a dog, and I didn't want to use any pesticides.

I vacuumed up the first batch, but when they returned, I knew they had added my house to their list of places to check out and party!

I have tried all 3 of these, and most of these products are already in your house, so try these first.

1.  White Vinegar

Mix 50/50 white vinegar and water into a spray bottle (dollar store sells these)

Spray the window sills or the door sills where you have seen ants, no matter how tiny or large they are.  Spray it right on any ants that are there right now. 

With a paper towel, wipe up the vinegar.  It will leave a smell behind that they cannot stand and you will have a clean sill (added bonus).

If you do this often and clean your counters and floors with a vinegar mixture, not only is this a natural cleaner, but ants HATE IT.

2.  Dish Soap

If you don't like the smell of vinegar, or you simply don't have any in the house and you can see a party of ants having a great time on your counter, use this soap method.

Mix one part dish soap to 2 parts water in a spray bottle.

Spray the ants and the surrounding area and wipe away with a paper towel and discard.

3.  Lemon Juice

This is another ant killer and deterrent.

Mix one part lemon juice to 3 parts water in a spray bottle and spray on the ants.  Citric acid will kill them and they can't stand the stuff.

Find the Entrance if you Can

See if you can find where they are coming in.  Check around your window sills and door sills.  Go outside and see if there are ant hills nearby.

Spray Outside Too

If you have found their ant hill or simply where they are hanging out and getting in, then take your spray bottle and spray all around the entrance.  Cut off their path with dish soap, vinegar or lemon juice spray and they will turn around and leave.

Don't Use Commercial Pesticides, Try the Above First.

I made the mistake of putting out those little tins of ant killer and my dog thought they would be nice to chew.  It make him quite sick.  So this is why I don't EVER buy pesticides.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...