How to Get Rid of Weeds Between Patio Pavers - 4 Easy Ways

I love my patio, but the weeds that grow between the patio paver stones are driving me nuts.

I came across these 4 ways to remove those stubborn weeds without having to try and pull them by hand which then drags up dirt and sometimes the patio stones.  Plus I didn't want harsh chemicals as I wander in bare feet all the time.

1.  White Vinegar

Pick a dry day, and fill a clean spray bottle with the white vinegar.  Depending on how large an area you have it will be worthwhile to invest in a large bottle.

Spray the weeds.  Try to keep the spray specifically to these weeds and/or grass as vinegar will kill any plant, so keep it away from your flower beds etc.

If you have a large patio area, invest in a larger pump sprayer.

This works well, but you are still left with a few brown dead bodies, but eventually you can sweep them away.  You may need to repeat this process once a month, but it does work.

2.  Boiling Water

If you have a small area to deal with, then boil the kettle and carefully pour the boiling water onto the grass and weeds between the pavers, (also gets rid of ant hills between pavers too!).

This works well too, but better in a smaller area, or you will be constantly boiling the kettle.

3.  Paver Weeding Tool

This is basically a very sharp knife that is specifically designed to run between even the tightest of patio paver stones.


What I found to work the best, is to use the vinegar solution and then run a sharp blade between the stones to remove the roots and remainder of the grass and weeds.

I used an old kitchen knife, but I am going to invest in one of these tools as it has a bend to it, which will hook the weeds and grass roots and yank them out.

4.  Plant Walk on Me Thyme Seeds


If there is a large enough gap for grass and weeds to grow through, instead of fighting it all the time, you can plant the seeds of "walk on me Thyme"  which are designed for patios and walkways.

If you are done with fighting the weeds, then plant these seeds once you have removed them.  These plants can really add to a patio and are aggressive enough to keep away the weeds and look nice at the same time.

Covers a Not So Nice Patio!  Why Remove it?  Add Some Color

Remove as much of the weeds between your patio stones as you can using any of the above methods, and then add some soil if needed and then these seeds. 

They will grow very quickly if you water them, and now your ugly patio is a living walking beautiful area!



No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...