How to Make Plarn From Plastic Bags - Upcycle and on the Cheap

I have really jumped onto the recycling and reuse train big time.

I always have recycled, but have come across some really cool projects to reuse everyday items such as plastic bags.

You can create a product from plastic bags called "Plarn".  This is basically plastic yarn, and as you can see by the intro picture, this creates durable and beautiful bags, mats and more.

In our town, unfortunately they don't recycle these shopping bags, so I have them all bunched up and I reuse them as I can, but when I saw this project, I just had to try it!

Who knew I had a few beautiful crocheted bags just waiting to be made... stuffed under the sink?  Check out this video.  I had to stop it a few times to see how she did the cuts.

Just follow any crochet pattern you have or download on the net.  I was really inspired by this video, and also decided it was a good idea to invest in the winder, (although you could just create a massive ball)
How to Cut Plastic Bags for Plarn

 This video shows you just how to cut the plastic bags to make your plarn. I did have to stop it a couple of times to understand the folds, but once you get it, you will be amazed at how fast you can create a large bowl of this plastic yarn or Plarn.

By crocheting or knitting this type of plastic yarn, you create a good strong tote or bag.  Would make great mats as well or place mats for the table.  I was thinking how cool it would be to mix up the different colors of the bags.

The above bag uses the plain beige style bags, but if you have colored ones, throw them in there too!  This is such an awesome way to upcycle.

Ask Your Neighbors, Friends and Family for Clean Plastic Bags

I know my sister keeps them stuffed into empty tissue boxes, so I will try and make her a bag.  I love to knit and crochet, and thought these would make a great reuse and yet good looking and strong tote bag for your shopping. 

They can be wiped clean and are fun to make!

Perfect for the BEACH

What better style of bag to carry then one made of plastic for those wet towels and bathing suits. 

Make Table Place Mats

These would make cool looking place mat for the picnic table or just for eating outside.  Easy to wipe clean.

Hope I have got you inspired to watch this video and get crocheting, or knitting your homemade PLARN!


No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...