How to Age a Metal Bucket in 10 Minutes - Quick and Easy Old Paint Look Patina on the Cheap

I found these really cool metal buckets for cheap, but didn't like the shine.  I was hoping to create a grouping of buckets to fill a blank spot in my garden.  I wanted to add some texture and height so rather than planting more shrubs I went for the buckets.

But I was shocked when at the garden center I saw just how much they cost, some more than 55 bucks each with that old look, so after sourcing some cheaper ones online:

I decided to get creative and knock that shine off. I did some research and found many different ways that required harsh chemicals and lots of time.  There is a vinegar way but it took too much time too.  This was the fastest way and looks awesome!

Being an impatient women, and only having an afternoon to get this done, I found a different way that really worked.

I love the whitish patina on the buckets rather than the rusted look or the dull look.  I wanted that old world look and this is what I got.


You could take it another step further and add stencils or anything you want, but here is exactly how I created this finish in less than 10 minutes!  You don't have to do the inside if you don't want, the first picture is to show you just how shiny this bucket was without glare back from my camera!

What you will Need:

Zinsser primer (not the spray, but the can of it you would use with a brush)

Sponge

Newspaper or some covering for your table

Method:

I did this outside on my patio table but you can do this anywhere.  NOTE:  If you do it outside it will dry very fast which is what I wanted.

Take your bucket and dip the sponge into the primer and then move around the bucket in a circular motion.  That is it!!  No prep other than taking off any labels.

ONLY ONE THIN COAT TO GET THIS LOOK IS NEEDED!!

Let Dry.  Mine were dry in about 10 minutes outside.

That is all it took to cover my buckets in this old whitish patina. 

Now fill them with a few stones in the bottom for drainage, your soil and then your plants.  Hang them from garden hooks, or sit them on old cut logs, or find smaller ones to sit inside your larger ones.

There are so many ways to display these without breaking the bank.  Getting them online means you can get a bunch of them for one affordable price.  I found these on AMAZON.

Zinsser primer has always been my go to primer if I wanted to paint a surface that normally can't just be painted without preparation.  Like I said, I am impatient.  When I get an idea in my head I don't want to have to wait days and sand things, I like to get started.

It can be used for so many indoor and outdoor projects.  My buckets still look good even after lots of rain and bad weather.  I have also used this primer for furniture projects, to turn a thrift store piece of furniture into something unique and awesome without any sanding or paint removing.  Check that post out HERE

You could beat the pail to add dents or stencils or anything you want.  But I personally just like this slightly whitish patina without anything else added, just the color of my flowers!

The beauty of this primer, is that now there is a base to do anything you want without it coming off.  Zinsser totally prepares the surface.

Many Sizes

You can get galvanized metal buckets online for many events, even for weddings.  Some as tiny as 5 inches tall, so check this page to see the many different sizes you can get and have fun with.

Galvanized metal buckets page

So hopefully I have inspired you to get creative and save a few bucks.  You will find many more projects to use this Zinsser primer on so this will not be a wasted investment.  Even with the primer it was still cheaper for me to do a few buckets then to get that one from the garden center.



No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...