Best Way to Cover Popcorn Ceiling - No Mess - No Scraping - Awesome and on the Cheap

If you have been blessed with a popcorn ceiling (like me) and don't like it (like me) or maybe the
ceiling is not popcorn or stucco but the seams are showing and the ceiling drywall job was not done well.  I have news for you...

Stop Living with a Ugly Popcorn Ceiling!

Anyone who reads my blog, knows I go for the easiest, cheapest options that still look good for everyday life, and I came across these lightweight styrofoam ceiling tiles that simply glue to the ceiling.

Finish it off with a crown molding and it looks brand new with not one speck of dust or sanding!

These are paintable if you don't like the plain look, but I love the light white pattern and if you watch the video you can see just how lightweight and easy they are to install.  You don't have to paint a thing if you don't want to.



Below is a video of them being installed on the ceiling. Yes your arms have to go over your head, but you could take breaks and maybe have some help, but you could do this yourself in an afternoon if the room is not too big. Plus they cut with a knife, if you have to cut them to fit.

There is no preparation to the surface, you don't have to sand or remove anything.  That is the part I love.

If you are creative you can give them a faux look such as tin if you have an older home where this would work, but you can also get them already painted online.

As you can see by the ads, you can get this on Amazon for a good price. I just love the idea of not scrapping or adding an extra 1/4 inch of drywall which is what the home improvement store suggested. This would require me to hire someone, and guess what?  The budget says "NO".

Ideas to Cover Popcorn Ceiling

Although I feel the faux tiles are the fastest and easiest, maybe you don't like this idea.   You could cover with stretched fabric, or you can cover with faux planking.  There are many different ideas, but in my opinion this is the best way to cover popcorn ceilings on the cheap.

I say it is on the cheap because I can do this.  I don't need to hire a soul if I don't want to and I can transform a room in an afternoon and my only outlay is for the products.

Caulking to Fill Gaps Between the Wall and the Crown Molding

Don't forget to use a caulking gun to fill in any gaps to give this room a seamless beautiful look.

I love the faux crown moldings to really finish it off.  I am planning on doing this in my basement where the owner from years ago sprayed a very basic coat of stucco or popcorn and I can still see the drywall seams.

The crown moldings are a bit more expensive, you don't have to have them if you have your faux tiles come right up to the top of the wall evenly, but I personally think it finishes off the room.

Totally update a Room in an Afternoon by Covering the Popcorn Ceiling

If you really want to transform a room yourself, give your walls 2 coats of fresh paint, paint the trim, then add your new ceiling tiles and moldings, and give the floor a good clean and maybe a new area rug, and your room is totally transformed without any major DIY!  Got to Love it!

I hope I have inspired you to make some changes that look awesome without raiding your bank account and will stop you from waiting until that magical day when you have some big pile of money waiting around to do renovations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...