AA Battery Tester - Also 9 Volt/C/D/AAA and Button Types - Find the Ones that Work Quickly with a Battery Checker

I don't know about you, but we have so many things that need some kind of AA battery in our house it is becoming a pain knowing which ones are still good.

Small flashlights, computer mouse, cameras and the TV remote all seem to take the common AA in our house.  I am not sure how, but many end up in baskets, on the counter or in that infamous junk drawer, so I decided it was time to find out if they were keepers or tossers!

I was researching and found this cool little battery tester online:



It has a easy to read display, to let you know if they are dead or half dead or totally OK.  (obviously it doesn't use those words but you get the point).

I am sad to say I no longer have rechargeable batteries, so mine get saved for the twice a year battery collection that our township does to keep them out of the landfill.  But for anyone who uses rechargeables, this will tell you if they need recharging too.

This has got to be one of the cheapest investments ever!


I am on a spring cleanup of my junk drawer, and I need to be prepared for that next battery collection
date, so I am going to check each one.

It is such a time waster checking different batteries in a flashlight or the TV remote with everyone waiting to get back to that movie.  I want to know which ones are good and which ones are bad.

This Amprobe Battery Tester has absolutely loads of reviews, over 3700 at time of writing this post.  It is under 10 bucks now, so next time you are placing an order on Amazon, don't forget to add one of these to your order, then do what I am doing, check them all quickly.

Old Batteries Can Be Dangerous

After a while acid type stuff will leak out of them, or the tops will get this white crusty stuff on it which is really bad on the skin.  Once a battery has served its purpose, it needs to either be recharged or recycled properly.  Don't just toss them in the garbage.

Many local landfill and recycling facilities will have a bin designated for dead batteries, and some home improvement stores will have them too.   But if you find that awkward, or too far away and want to be environmentally responsible, you can get these battery recycling kits online.


Battery Recycling Kit

The price includes return postage for your dead batteries. You can simply test them and then collect them in this safe pail instead of a plastic bag like I do!


Create a Container for Dead Batteries and Make it a Habit to Test and Toss

With so many toys and electronics taking some kind of battery you are bound to have a few laying around the house.  They are not cheap to buy so it would be nice to know if the ones sitting around are any good rather than waiting until you need a replacement instantly.

I realized just how mine collected around the house.  Most of the computer mouse's (are they considered mice in plural??) require only one battery and most battery packs are sold in at least two.  The package would be ripped open and the other one would eventually fall out or simply be left on a coffee table, desk or tossed in a drawer. 

My CSI skills finally figured it all out as the family all looked totally innocently at me and shrugged their shoulders!

I keep a Basket Just with Good Batteries

So now the deal is, when you open a package, the package or at least the other battery will end up in this basket.  We know the ones in here are good to go.

When taking out the old one, we will now have a pail or container, not sure yet.  Either way I don't want that frustration of the dead mixed in with the living ones!

This Tester is the First Step!

I also discovered that if you are in need of battery power, especially the most common AA's you can get them online in bulk!




Which is much cheaper than the electronic stores around me.

So, if like me, you have lots of battery power in your home, then you should try and create some kind of system to separate the good from the bad, test them to figure out which ones are what, and when you do need them, get them in bulk online.

This is a much cheaper option.  This way when the troups are freaking because the TV remote died or that latest toy died, you are prepared!

Have a wonderful day!




No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...