Can You Clip Cat Nails - Without Being Shredded? - Try a Cat Bag

As the owner of 3 cats, I was relying heavily on my Veterinarian to trim my cat’s nails at annual checkups.  This was a great option for about 3 months, and then those nasty nails grew long again and shredded my furniture and carpet, and really I needed to do them in between visits myself.



I had tried restraining my cat with the help of unsuspecting family members, but even at almost 13 years old, my loving affectionate kitty turned into the “devil cat” within seconds, and we all became instant scratching posts!  The hissing and growling were enough to put off anyone!


After much research I found that restraining your cat with a heavy towel or blanket does work, but you have to wrap them quite tight for this to work or one of those dreaded claws would attack.  
                       (pictured:  One Ticked Off Cat!!)

The Towel Trick - Towel Must Be Snug


The trick is to somehow make it so that only one foot at a time was out for a trimming while keeping her firmly wrapped.  My cat would then bite, so sometimes a muzzle is necessary.  Once swaddled in a blanket or towel many cats simply accept that something is going to happen, but not my cat, she will fight to the end.

I found this video helpful on how to swaddle your cat, but it is best to have help.  Check it out.

Preparing Your Cat for procedures such as clipping cat nails


This has worked for me in the past, but I came across a product while researching easier ways to accomplish this feat.  It is said if you get them used to nail trimming from a kitten they don’t mind, but this is not true of my cat.

I have two other cats I recently took on, and there is no way the towel is going to work.  So after much research and question asking of other cat owners, I came across this “cat bag” that basically holds all their parts inside and even comes with a muzzle.  You can simply haul one foot out at a time, and they simply can’t get away.  The rest of their body is firmly secure behind zippered openings.

Try a Cat Grooming Bag - For Under 20 bucks I think my arms are worth it!


Cat Grooming Bag - MEDIUM, cat restraint bag + FREE Cat Muzzle by, Downtown Pet Supply


Close Doors and Windows and Do this is a Small Room with the Element of Surprise


This way if they do get away, you can still grab them.  I have always found the element of surprise to work the best.  If they see you coming at them with a towel and clippers, this will not end well!


Place the muzzle on first which tends to make many cats docile, but still the element of surprise works.  There are zippered openings for the legs, so you can simply let one leg out at a time.  Once you have quickly trimmed one foot, then stuff it back in the bag and get the other foot and so on.  

No Worries about the Towel Unraveling


This happened to me.  I was down to the last back foot, and with her wiggling the towel came undone, then out came all the feet and she was able to launch off my lap, so one foot never got done, so I am seriously looking into this cat bag idea.
Miracle Care Kwik Stop Styptic Powder, 0.5 Oz

Cat Nails Can Break and Get Infected


If you have an indoor cat, and even with outdoor cats, they simply don’t wear their nails down that well, so they will grow too long and then get caught, especially in the carpet.  Next thing you know she panics and rips her nails and they bleed.  This is not good for your cat or your carpet, and infection can set in especially since they dig in a germ infested litter box.  So it is an important part of your grooming process. 

How Often Clip Cat Nails?


It all depends on your cat, but I found every couple of months I would clip the point off.  I don’t like to go too deep or it will hurt them and they will bleed.  You can go to a groomer, but that will cost you, and the once a year at the Veterinarian’s office is not often enough.

Quick Stop


You should keep some basic supplies on hand for your cat grooming episodes.  I have a small flower pot where I keep my cat brush, clippers, and some quick stop just in case her nails bleed.  This will seal it to stop infection and to stop blood on your floors.  This works for cats and dogs, because it can be hard to no clip too short.   My Veterinarian suggested just clipping off the points.
Wrap in Towel or Blanket Snugly or Invest in a Cat Bag.  For under 20 dollars I think my arms are worth it!


These bags I noticed can also be used if you need to bathe your cat, or feed him medicine, clean his ears.  This would certainly save your arms, face and a whole team of family members when it comes time for some nail clipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Clean Yellowed Pillows

 When changing my bedding, I started to notice the "yellowing" on my pillows when I took off the pillow cases. It turns out it is ...